The Research and Development Unit has the following objectives:
• Food and Nutrition Research, covering the areas of Food Composition, Applied Nutrition, Food Safety, Toxicology, Risk Assessment and Lifestyle, Food, Nutrition and Health Impact;
• Identify priority areas of intervention focused on national needs;
• Produce, develop and disseminate knowledge in core subjects of Food and Human Nutrition, through the promotion, design, planning and execution of R & D programs, with innovative projects that strengthen national programs and internationalization;
• Develop other activities in research, such as promotion and training methodology for R & D and other areas of expertise of the Department;
• Develop instruments to observe the Portuguese population health status and its determinants.
The Unit has laboratories and is divided into research teams.