The Reference Unit has the following objectives:
• Acting in accordance with specific standards in the area of Food Security and Nutrition and promote their implementation;
• Participate in the development of new normative documents and other reference measures;
• Provide differentiated services, according to the needs and priorities in health, including analytical testing, production of reference materials, interlaboratory comparison tests and other performance assessment schemes;
• Implement new approaches emphasizing uniqueness and specificity;
• Collaborate with the harmonization of methodologies at national and international levels;
• Collaboration with other national laboratories, including Public Health Laboratories;
• Represent INSA in international networks of reference laboratories.
The Reference Unit has three laboratories: Laboratory Reference Materials, Laboratory of Microbiology, and Laboratory of Chemistry.